Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Happy Birthday Nora Jane!

Showing off the new dress
On a Friday afternoon 34 years and a couple days ago Sandy Pedersen went into labor with her first child.  Her husband, Jhan was an assistant coach for the the Starmont Stars, and they were scheduled to play a road game that evening.  As the labor dragged on it became apparent that Jhan would have to miss the game.  I was born shortly before midnight, and it would be the only game my dad ever missed as a coach.

Fast forward to Saturday, September 18, 2010, a rainy and stormy day.  In my first year as the head coach of the Grinnell Pioneers we had gotten of to a 2-0 start, including an upset road win over nationally ranked Monmouth College.  We were scheduled to play conference foe Ripon College.  I woke up about 7:00 to walk the dog and get ready for the day, trying to be quiet so my daughter Frances and pregnant wife Jordan could sleep in a little.  As I was getting ready to leave the house Jordan says, "I think today is the day."  WHAT?!!  TODAY?!!

I sent Jordan to the hospital while I came in for our 8:40 team meeting.  At the meeting I urged the guys to block out the things they couldn't control (weather, etc.) and to focus on what they could control (executing their assignment).  I sent them off to breakfast, then told assistant head coach Tim Hollibaugh that I was headed to the hospital to see what was happening. 

Once I got to the hospital I was told that yes, today would be the day.  I rushed back to campus to meet the team at breakfast and give them the news that I would be missing the game for the birth of our second daughter.  I wished them luck, then reminded them of what I had said earlier, control what you can control and don't worry about the rest!

Well, we were partly successful that day.  Nora Jane Pedersen was born around 3:00 PM, a healthy and beautiful 8 pound baby girl.  Unfortunately for the Pioneers, the afternoon did not go as planned.  We fell behind early in a sloppy game, and as the teams headed for the locker rooms at halftime it turned from a rain storm into a thunder storm.  There was an hour-long delay due to lightning in the area.  When the teams finally resumed play we made a nice comeback in the third quarter, but ultimately fell short.

"Dad, we're making a good comeback here."

"They scored again?  Ppfftt!!"

"Oh man!  This game stinks!"
As I walked into the team meeting room that Sunday morning, I was unsure of what to expect.  Would the team be upset, feeling I had abandoned them?  Would they have some level of understanding?  I wasn't sure.  Well, the moment I walked in the door I got my answer, I received a standing ovation from the guys.  Was it deserved?  Probably not, after all, my only role was holding Jordan's hand during the delivery.  Was it appreciated?  For sure.  That let me know all I need about this team, and the privilege I have being a part of it every day. 

Go Pioneers and Happy Birthday Nora Jane!!