Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy Birthday Frances Belle!

Opening presents from Grandma Lisa and Grandpa and Grandma P.
On a cloudy Friday night in January 2009, with snow on the way, my nine-months pregnant wife and I decided to go out to the movies.  We watched a true tear-jerker, Marley and Me.  The movie was nice, but we were out late and I was looking forward to sleeping in the next morning.

It was not to be.

Jordan woke me up with an aggressive shake around 6:00 AM the next morning.  "I think I'm having contractions," she said.  I asked what I needed to do, and we agreed that this was just the beginning of a long process, so some more rest would be a good idea.  A short hour later and I was being shaken again.  Time to get up.

I rolled downstairs to find that the snow had arrived, about six inches worth, and still falling.  I dug us out and we loaded the car for Des Moines.  The roads weren't the best, but we made the slow trip in about two hours. 
It took plenty of shoveling to get out that morning
The contractions were still mild (if there is such a thing) and far apart, so we spent a quiet afternoon at a co-workers house.  We finally went to Methodist Hospital later in the evening.  Jordan labored throughout the night, and around 3:00 AM January 11th, our baby girl was born.  Frances Belle Pedersen, a whopping 9 pounds and 3 ounces, took her time coming out but has been in a hurry ever since. 
Taking a well-deserved nap
As first-time parents, neither Jordan nor I slept well in the hospital that night.  When we did wake up we realized that the temperature had bottomed out after the snow.  With a temperature around -10 degrees, we decided an extra day in the hospital would be nice.  I spent that first night with a swaddled baby girl in my lap, watching Louisville vs Notre Dame (Louisville won in OT), and telling her everything I knew about basketball.  It was the first of many lessons that she didn't appear to be listening to, but that hopefully sank in somehow. 
Proud Parents