Friday, September 12, 2014

I Want To See Frenzy!!


The Pioneers will take the field tomorrow for their first game of the season, taking on conference foe Beloit College.  It's been a long wait for our first game, and we are ready!  The Pioneers will take the advice of an original Pioneer, Sam Pooley, "I don't want to see enthusiasm out there . . . I want to see frenzy!"  From a coaches perspective, I hope that's a controlled frenzy, but our guys are so ready I certainly don't want to hold them back.  Can't wait!

As was recently reported in the Des Moines Register Sam Pooley was a member of the original Pioneer team in 1889.  Seventy years later, at the age of 90, Pooley returned to campus for a matchup against Carleton, and his request for frenzy was part of his pre-game speech to the team that day.

Keep following along with our season as we celebrate not only the 2014 season, but also a rich 125 year history of Pioneer Football.