Thursday, March 26, 2015

Sam Poulos Enjoying His Time Overseas


Poulos waits for Meixler to come open before delivering a touchdown strike
Pioneer quarterback Sam Poulos '16 is spending his spring semester studying abroad in Denmark.  Check out his quick update from his semester:

So far the experience has been pretty awesome. Living in a different country has been very different, but over time I have began to get used to it. While seeing the differences between countries is unique, it made me appreciate the culture that I grew up in.

I would say one of the cooler experiences so far would be traveling to Berlin, Germany and Prague, Czech Republic with my international business class. In both of these cities, I was able to visit different companies to learn about business in different countries. In Berlin, I was able to visit the headquarters for the German automobile industry, and DB bahn (German train company). With each company they talked about how to market themselves in Germany, as well as different ways to market themselves in Europe and the U.S.

In Prague, my class visited Skoda car company and Siemens. At the Skoda car factory we were able to go watch how the cars were assembled, which was something I had never done before. At Siemens, they taught us about how they market their company in the U.S. and about the new technology fields they were looking to expand too.

Even though I most likely will not go into international business in the future, it was a unique experience that I would not be able to have in the U.S. I was able to learn how foreign industries think differently than U.S. companies. Hearing a different perspective of business is also a unique experience.