Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Senior Greg Ruzich Tells of his Experiences in Australia

Greg Ruzich at the top of Hall's Gap at the Grampians in Victoria, Australia
Thus far my experience in Australia has been everything but ordinary. The variety of events I've attended, difference in academic experience, and the sites I would never see in Iowa have all contributed to a semester to remember.

There have been plenty of events to go to while I've been here. I've dressed like the respected and dearly missed Steve Erwin at a "stereotypical Australia" themed event, been to barbies on the beach, spent evenings on the Yarra River in toga attire, and gone to concerts of bands composed of entirely Australian musicians. These different functions and events have certainly added to my experience here but it has been the people I have met at these places have made them truly enjoyable.

My school experience is nothing like that of Grinnell. The sheer size difference was, at first, almost overwhelming: switching from a campus with 1,800 students to one with over 40,000 definitely required some getting used to. The campus here at the University of Melbourne is beautiful but you don't get the same sort of close-knit community feel that you do at Grinnell. However, it has been great being able to take courses I wouldn't be able to at Grinnell like Human Physiology, and being able to learn about Australian culture like in my Sport and Education in Australia course. It has certainly been a different experience as my Physiology lecture seats 600 students. At Grinnell, the largest course I've taken had maybe 35 students. So the differences in my educational experience have definitely been striking.

All this has been great to experience but isn't necessarily unique to Australia. However because of the flexibility of the program I've been able travel to some of the more beautiful areas of the country.  I've seen Sydney's Opera House and Bondi Beach just outside of Sydney, I've rock climbed and hiked in the Grampians, and cliff jumped into the beautiful Port Phillip Bay. Also, the city of Melbourne where I am studying is stunning. The architecture is abstract and modern with one building even showing the face of an aboriginal man if viewed from the correct angle.

Overall, the land of the 'roo has certainly treated me well and I'm excited for what the rest of the semester has in store but I am excited to get back to the states, see my friends and family, and get my final season as a Grinnell College Pioneer football player underway.  #GCPride