Thursday, August 6, 2015

Junior Tackle Grant Koch Interns at Holmes Murphy in Des Moines

Grant seals the edge for a TD against Cornell
Junior right tackle Grant Koch, from Keystone, CO, has spent this past summer as a Loss Control & Claims Intern at Holmes Murphy & Associates Insurance in Des Moines.  Koch is pursuing a history major, but has always had an eye towards something in the insurance or finance fields.  He was excited to land the internship at Holmes Murphy, as it has given him insight into the insurance world.

Here's what he has to say:

Holmes Murphy has been in business for more than 75 years, with around 700 employees in 12 offices across 10 states. We work with a variety of commercial clients and almost 100 carriers as insurance brokers. My role as a Loss Control & Claims intern has been to assist our Loss Control & Claims Consultants in their daily work as they help our clients build safer and better workplace cultures. The service we provide not only helps our clients grow their business, but it also allows them to focus on their business, rather than worry about the insurance side of things. It is our job at Holmes Murphy to help facilitate the relationship from client to insurance carrier. Some days I'm in the office working at a computer, and other days I get to get out on the road to visit clients . My biggest project this summer has been to centralize and organize the safety documents all our consultants use to make the information they collect in the field more accessible between offices.  My most "interesting" experience though, was the trip I made to a meat-packaging facility in central Iowa. I never expected to see an operation like that in my internship (let alone in my life), but it was something to experience. I have really enjoyed my summer here at Holmes Murphy, and I've learned much more here in 10 weeks than I could have hoped for.