Sunday, August 16, 2015

Tomorrow is the Big Day!


Tomorrow is the big day, the 2015 Pioneers will report in the morning.  Report day is always one of the best and worst days of the year, all at the same time.  It is one of the best, because we're finally all in the same place, ready to go for another exciting season.  At this point in the year, anything is possible!  It is one of the worst, because even though we're reporting, we're still not really allowed to start yet.  It seems like we can talk about and do anything we want, except football.  It stinks, but that's the way it is.  I'm just excited to see these guys!!


I also want to give you another summer update from one of our rising seniors.  Henry Cummings spent this past summer working at TIAA-CREF.  As an educator who has his entire retirement account with TIAA-CREF, I hope he did a great job!  Here's what Henry had to say:


For the last two summers and this last winter, I have worked for TIAA-CREF, a financial services firm, based in New York City. The firm's motto is "serving those who serve others" and their main product is the management of the pensions of teachers, doctors and people who have spent their careers serving others. I have been helping them launch a separate charitable business called a donor advised fund. This company and project fit right in with Grinnell college's values and TIAA is a common summer home for Grinnell College students looking for an internship. A Grinnell graduate who now works for TIAA makes sure to get a few current Grinnell students in with TIAA every year. It has been an incredible experience, seeing how a business is started and learning about all the different roles that exist in a company and how they function. I have worked on many different projects during my experience. In the last month I have helped write the policies and procedures for the business. I have met some incredible people who have advised me and helped me figure out what exactly I want to do after my senior year of college. I am planning on working for a consulting firm next year. My experience at TIAA has completely changed my prospects for my career and I am grateful that Grinnell has helped me find this opportunity. 

Sounds like a great internship!