Thursday, March 31, 2016

Former Pioneer Gridder Named Director of Athletics and Recreation


Former Pioneer footballer Andy Hamilton was recently named the new Director of Athletics and Recreation at Grinnell.  A member of the class of 1985, Andy has been a fixture in our department since, coaching several sports including football, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's tennis.  He has also served as the Sports Information Director, as an Assistant AD, and as the Interim AD.  On a personal note, Coach Hamilton was the offensive coordinator my first three seasons at Grinnell, calling plays for arguably the best offense we've had at Grinnell.  I'm very excited to have Hamilton at the helm.  I love the continuity this provides to our department, but I also love that it does not signal complacency.  I believe we'll continue to push and improve and our department will be stronger across the board in years to come.

The flip side of Hamilton moving into his new role is that Greg Wallace will be moving to Senior Faculty Status.  Wallace was the head coach while I played at Grinnell, and has been the AD during my time as the head coach.  Greg has been a tremendous friend and mentor over the years, and it will be different not having him in our office.  Special thanks to Coach Wallace for his years of service, and I look forward to his new role working with athletics and admissions.